Visual Studio Code Developer Edition Install Review


I’ve installed Visual Studio Code Developer Edition in 2015 Macbook Pro. Here’s its repo:


Visual Studio Code is an open source tool provide by Microsoft. It supports many different kinds of programming languages such as C/C++, python, php, Javascript, Java, etc. It's very simple and light. When I'm using it, it just like using text editor to write txt file. Fast to open, simple UI and easy to create and save file. It's very comfortable to code with it.

In VS code, there’re many useful extensions to improve coding experience and debugging. Here are some of extensions I have installed:
 

Some of the extensions were installed when I was coding. For example, C/C++ was suggested to me when I was writing C++ code. It could highlight the code so that I am more clear when writing codes. Some extensions were installed because I need them. Like NPM, Node.js Extension Pack, etc, were installed cause recently I need to build web server api using node.js. It provides api for node.js programming and simulate the environment to run that kind of program. Some extensions were use for debugging, like Debugger for Chrome. I can show structure of codes in program and track the actions of different parts of codes and track the data flowing. It also provides live debugging feature which allow to see the visual page of program and the code side by side. That is very convenient for us to debug or write code. I can visually see how it looks like when I write webpages. 

It easily to build vscode by following the build guide. Here are brief steps to build the project (OSx platform) :

1. Install git.
2. Make directory to hold the project, clone the project from github to this directory: 
git clone https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode.git
3. Node.js
4. Yarn
5. Python
6. C/C++ compiler

After finishing the prerequisites, you can continue by following steps:

7. Go to vscode repository directory and run:
yarn run watch

8. Then you can run vscode by:
./scripts/code.sh

9. To test the project, you can use command:
./scripts/test.sh

For me, there's error when running the tests. Need to learn more to debug it.





        


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD - Release 03

OSD600 - Lab 6: Fixing URL bug in Brave browser

Studying for open standard